I got my PhD in developmental genetics and computational biology at Marcos Egea's lab (Cartagena, Spain) in 2012.
I switched to cancer epigenomics during my first postdoc at Miguel Angel Peinado's lab (Barcelona, Spain), where I enjoyed dealing with multiple challenges, including the analysis of the epigenomics and gene expression status of repetitive elements.
I'm passionate about computational biology in all its flavours. I enjoy to engage in collaborative research, but also work in a largely independent manner, mainly to develop new tools addressed to experimentalists to browse and analyze biodata.
I'm very grateful to all the talented and diverse researchers I have worked alongside, who excel in technical skills but also in wider values, e.g. mi PIs Marcos Egea, Julia Weiss, Miguel A. Peinado, Mark D. Robinson and Tuncay Baubec, and also to many researchers who have been source of inspiration: Fumichiiro Yamamoto, Tanya Vavouri, Charlotte Soneson, Marcus Buschbeck, Michael Baudis, Iñaki Martinez de Ilarduya, Eduard Casas, Raffaella Santoro, and many others.
I'm also thankful to the bright students I tutorized in the past: Francisco Chen (Univ. Barcelona, by M.A. Peinado), Alberto Sierco (Univ. Barcelona, by M.A. Peinado), Gustavo Rosell (UOC/UB), Lorena Ponce (UOC/UB), Jose Munuera (UOC/UB), Mar Garcia (UOC/UB) and Chaitra Rao (ETH Zurich, by T. Baubec).
CV and failure CV
I've been enjoying life in Academia since 2007. I notice I tried a lot of different things, many of which worked, others failed, and that I regretted not trying way more than just failing.
- 1994 discovered programming
- 2002 switched to linux
- 2007 hons MSc Biology
- 2007 joined excellent lab on plant developmental genetics, Dr. Marcos Egea and Dr. Julia Weiss
- 2008 hons MSc Agriculture Engineering
- 2008 failed to get FPU PhD fellowship
- 2008 PhD fellowship awarded
- 2008 discovered passion about computational biology
- 2009 PhD fellowship awarded
- 2009 killed all my plants (unwillingly)
- 2009 grant funded to my advisors, a (small) part of which included bits of my own
- 2010 published MSc paper, including our first method
- 2010 killed all my plants (again...)
- 2011 published first bioinfo paper as corresponding author
- 2011 published first paper without wetlab work from my side
- 2012 cum laude PhD awarded
- 2012 left the lab after a great training in both experimental and computational research, with two tools and four papers out
- 2013 joined excellent colon cancer lab, Dr. Miguel A. Peinado
- 2013 failed to get postdoc fellowship (Juan de la Cierva)
- 2014 BEng Computer Science
- 2014 first student supervised 'de facto'
- 2014 first corresponding author paper from postdoc
- 2014 first collaborative paper from postdoc
- 2015 failed to get support to apply for grants
- 2016 failed to get grant (PERIS)
- 2017 failed to get grant (FOT)
- 2017 failed to negotiate more scientific freedom
- 2017 first student's MSc thesis under full supervision (UOC)
- 2018 failed to negotiate more scientific freedom
- 2018 left the lab after five years of enjoyable research in a great team, with five tools and 12 papers out
- 2018 joined two excellent labs for second postdoc, Dr. Tuncay Baubec and Mark D. Robinson
- 2018 failed to get postdoc fellowship (Marie Curie)
- 2019 submitted the first manuscript from second postdoc